In Vietnam, a driving license is required to legally operate a vehicle on the road. The process to obtain a driving license typically involves the following steps:
1. Learner’s Permit: To start, you must first obtain a learner’s permit by passing a written exam. This permits you to practice driving with a licensed driver in the vehicle.
2. Training: After obtaining the learner’s permit, you must attend a driving school to receive formal driving training. The duration of the training varies depending on the type of vehicle you intend to drive (car, motorbike, etc.).
3. Practical Driving Exam: Once you complete the training, you are eligible to take the practical driving exam. This exam assesses your driving skills and ability to navigate different traffic situations.
4. Theory Exam: In addition to the practical exam, you must also pass a theory exam which tests your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
5. Licensing Authority: If you pass both the practical and theory exams, you can then apply for a driving license at the local Department of Transportation or the local Driver’s License Office.
It’s important to note that the entire process can be time-consuming and may require additional documents such as identification, health check certificates, and proof of residency. Additionally, it’s recommended to seek assistance from a local expert or driving school for guidance through the process, as requirements and procedures may vary in different cities or provinces.
For permanent residents or those who relocate to Vietnam for working, studying or living, you must own a valid Vietnamese Driver License issued by provincial or national public transportation service- which belongs to the Ministry of Transport.
For temporary visitors, it is preferred that you possess an international driving permit, which can easily be obtained from your home country and converted to Vietnamese one. The police have the right to confiscate your vehicle for 90 days if you are not able to show a valid license.
Who can apply for a Vietnam’s driving license: those holding a valid Vietnamese residence permit or a visa valid for at least 3 month and a valid driving license.
How long does it take to obtain a Vietnam license: 5-7 days from the date of document submission
How much does it cost: the fee is $1.5 or VND 30,000, excluding translation and notorization fee.
How to apply: Read Instructions to apply for a Vietnam driving license.
Below is a sample of what a driving license looks like in Vietnam.