Vietnam Visa extension or renewal means that the Immigration Department of Vietnam will issue a new Vietnam visa stamp or a tourist, business, investment visa sticker on your new valid passport so that you can stay in Vietnam until the valid date. With Vietnam visa extension and renewal will be completed, processed and handled in Vietnam, you do not need to exit. One of the issues that many people are concerned about is visa extension or visa renewal in Vietnam and which is the best, most economical and most suitable way for foreigners in Vietnam. Before making a decision, please contact our visa consultant team at Vietnamvisa.org.vn to check your current Vietnam visa and documents, then all solutions and the cost of visa extension will come to you in the future.
You need to know before extending or renewing your Vietnam visa.
Before applying for visa extension and new Vietnam visa, you need to know and provide all documents such as current visa type, stamping date of the most recent entry to Vietnam, you want to extend Vietnam visa for how long, once or for many times, when it is good, your passport expires? What documents can prove your purpose of entry/entry visa? Your visa must be extended or renewed at least 7 days before the expiration date to ensure that you will not be fined for overdue pay.
The terms of visa extension and visa renewal in Vietnam include the following cases:
- Original work visa: can be extended for up to 1 year together with a valid Vietnamese work permit and depends on the duration of the work permit.
- Original business visa: can be extended from 1 month to 3 months if you enter once or many times
- Original tourist visa: can be extended up to 3 months
- Original visa exemption stamp: extendable for 15 days and from 1 month to 3 months only once entry
- Overdue visa: can be extended from 15 to 30 days
The visa extension period depends on the type of current visa, documents proving the purpose of entry, citizenship, time in year and purpose. So we recommend you to contact our team directly to check your case. Only a limited number of nationalities are eligible to apply for a visa extension or renewal in Vietnam, and the requirements are also changeable.
Instructions for visa extension and renewal in Vietnam
To procedure visa extension or new Vietnam visa, you need to check your documents to see if they are suitable with the conditions prescribed by Vietnam’s immigration law:
- Passport must be valid for more than 6 months from the time of extension and there are at least 2 blank pages remaining;
- Valid Vietnamese visa and latest entry stamp to Vietnam
- Dossier requesting for business visa extension, visa extension must have a sponsoring company in Vietnam;
- The duration of visa extension or renewal must be 30 days shorter than passport’s date;
- Only a limited number of nationalities are eligible to apply for visa extension/renewal in Vietnam and the requirements will be changed according to nationality and current visa type;
- Provide proof of residence registration in Vietnam certified by the local police station.
Request visa extension and renewal in Vietnam
Documents required for business / work and investment visas
Foreigners entering Vietnam for working, business, investment, Vietnam visa types issued on the passport are LV, LD1, LD2, DN1, DN2, DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4. Extending / renewing a visa in Vietnam must include a Vietnamese sponsoring company signing and stamping all application forms for visa extension / renewal for foreigners. The requirements need preparing with the following documents:
- Legal documents of the company (notarized copy of certificate of business registration or certificate of investment registration or establishment of representative office)
- Registration certificate stamp and Certificate of tax code registration (if any);
- Original passport;
- Eligible Vietnam Visa;
- Vietnamese work permit or work permit exemption (if any);
- The visa extension application must be signed and stamped by the legal representative of the company
- The original registration of residence in Vietnam certified by the local police station where the foreigner temporarily resides.
In case a foreigner travels with relatives, documents proving the relationship must be provided.
Family (documents must be legalized, translated, notarized in accordance with the law):
a. Relatives recognized as spouses must have a registration of marriage;
b. Child relatives must have a birth certificate.
Documents required for Vietnam tourist visa, e-visa, visa exemption stamp and visiting relative visa
Foreigners coming to Vietnam for tourism purposes, visiting relatives with valid visas and passports, DL, VR visa or visa exemption stamps need to prepare the following documents.
- Original passport;
- Valid Vietnam visa is marked as DL, VR or visa exemption stamp
- Copy of visa extension in Vietnam (if any)
- Copy of newest entry date stamp and name of port entry;
- Your current address in Vietnam (if any);
- Original residence registration in Vietnam certified by the local police station where the foreigner temporarily resides (if any)
If your passport is lost or stolen, follow these steps:
- Request for a notice paper of passport loss certified by the local police station where you temporarily reside;
- Request for a new travel paper such as passport / travel permit / note from the Embassy or Consulate General;
- Get a confirmation letter from the Embassy or Consulate General;
- Request for an exit visa or a replacement visa to leave Vietnam.
Where to apply for Vietnam visa extension?
Below is the contact information of the three major Immigration Departments in all three major regions of Vietnam – North, Central, and South:
Ho Chi Minh:
- Immigration Department of Ho Chi Minh City Police: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Immigration Department of Public Security: 254 Nguyen Trai, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Da Nang: 7 Tran Quy Cap, Da Nang City
Hanoi: 40, Tran Phu, Hanoi, Vietnam