Vietnam is a land of diverse cultures, natural beauty, and incredible shopping experiences. The streets are filled with shops selling everything you could possibly imagine; from traditional clothing to modern fashion wear. However, shopping in Vietnam can be overwhelming, especially if it’s your first time there. With so many options available, it’s easy to get confused about what to buy and where to shop. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide that will help you navigate the vibrant markets and make the most out of your shopping experience in Vietnam.
- Shoes and clothes in Vietnam: where to buy in Hanoi, Hoi An and Saigon (part 1)
- Shoes and clothes in Vietnam: Where to buy in Hanoi, Saigon an Hoi An (part 2)
Best Places to Shop for Clothes in Vietnam
Vietnam offers an array of shopping options, ranging from high-end boutiques to traditional markets. Here are some of the best places to shop for clothes in Vietnam:
Ben Thanh Market, Ho Chi Minh City
Ben Thanh Market is one of the largest and oldest markets in Ho Chi Minh City. It’s a popular destination for tourists looking to buy traditional Vietnamese clothing, souvenirs, and handicrafts. You can also find trendy clothing at affordable prices here.
Hoi An Night Market, Hoi An
Hoi An Night Market is a must-visit destination for both locals and tourists. It’s an excellent place to buy traditional Vietnamese silk clothing, handcrafted shoes, and beautiful jewelry. The market has a romantic ambiance, with colorful lanterns and street performers entertaining visitors.
Hang Gai Street, Hanoi
Hang Gai Street is located in the heart of Hanoi’s Old Quarter. It’s famous for its silk products, including traditional Vietnamese ao dai dresses, scarves, and shawls. You can also find high-quality cotton clothing, leather handbags, and accessories here.
How to Use Shopping Tips for Buying Clothes in Vietnam
Before you go shopping in Vietnam, it’s essential to know what clothing items you’re looking for and the budget you have. With these two factors in mind, you can create a shopping list that will help you stay focused while shopping.
Another important tip is to dress comfortably and wear shoes suitable for walking. You’ll be doing a lot of walking around the markets, so it’s essential to wear shoes that won’t cause blisters or discomfort.
Examples of Shopping Tips for Buying Clothes in Vietnam
Here are some examples of shopping tips that you can use when buying clothes in Vietnam:
- Always try on the clothing before you buy it to ensure it fits correctly.
- Bargaining is a common practice in Vietnamese markets, so don’t be afraid to negotiate the price.
- Look out for fake items; if the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
- Buy from reputable shops and vendors to ensure that you’re getting high-quality products.
- Check the material of the clothing before you buy it to ensure that it’s durable and comfortable.
Comparisons of Shopping Tips for Buying Clothes in Vietnam
Shopping in Vietnam is vastly different from shopping in western countries. Here are some comparisons between shopping in Vietnam and shopping in the west:
- Bargaining is a common practice in Vietnam, whereas fixed prices are the norm in western countries.
- Traditional markets are prevalent in Vietnam, whereas shopping malls dominate in western countries.
- The quality of the clothing in Vietnam may not be as high as in western countries, but the prices are significantly lower.
Advices for Shopping Tips for Buying Clothes in Vietnam
Here are some additional pieces of advice that will help you make the most out of your shopping experience in Vietnam:
- Don’t be afraid to explore different markets and shops to find the best deals and products.
- Learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases to communicate with vendors and negotiate prices.
- Be respectful towards vendors and shopkeepers, even if you don’t plan on buying anything.
- Carry cash with you as most vendors and shops do not accept credit cards.
- Avoid shopping during peak hours as the markets can get overcrowded and chaotic.
Vietnamese phrases when buying clothes
- Tôi mu?n mua áo này. (I want to buy this shirt.)
- Có c? S không? (Do you have size small?)
- B?n có th? th? áo này cho tôi ???c không? (Can you try this shirt on me?)
- B?n có cái áo này màu khác không? (Do you have this shirt in a different color?)
- Tôi không bi?t áo này làm t? ch?t li?u gì. (I don’t know what material this shirt is made of.)
- B?n có m?u áo dài không? (Do you have long shirts?)
- B?n có th? gi?m giá cho tôi không? (Can you give me a discount?)
- Tôi có th? ??i chi?c áo này ???c không? (Can I exchange this shirt?)
- Xin hãy gói giúp tôi s?n ph?m này. (Please wrap this item for me.)
- Tôi s? tr? ti?n b?ng th? tín d?ng. (I will pay with a credit card.)
Q1. Is it safe to shop in Vietnam?
Yes, it’s safe to shop in Vietnam. However, it’s essential to be cautious of pickpockets and carry your belongings securely.
Q2. Can I bargain at high-end boutiques?
No, bargaining is not acceptable at high-end boutiques. Fixed prices are the norm at these stores.
Q3. Do vendors accept foreign currency?
Some vendors may accept foreign currency, but it’s always better to carry Vietnamese Dong to avoid confusion and ensure that you’re getting a fair deal.
Q4. Do I need to pay for fitting rooms in Vietnamese markets?
No, fitting rooms are usually free of charge in Vietnamese markets.
Q5. What should I do if I’m not satisfied with my purchase in Vietnam?
Most vendors in Vietnam have a no-return policy, so it’s essential to inspect the item carefully before buying it. However, if there is an issue with the product, you can try negotiating with the vendor for a partial refund or exchange.
Shopping for clothes in Vietnam can be a memorable experience, but it’s essential to be prepared and follow these tips to make the most out of your shopping adventure. Remember to wear comfortable clothes and shoes, carry cash, create a shopping list, explore different markets, and bargain for the best deals. With this guide, you’ll be able to shop like a local and bring back unique clothing items that are sure to impress your friends and family.