If you want to discover the country of Angkor Wat, the world’s largest religious building and Buddhism that is practiced by 96% of the population, do not hesitate to take a trip from Vietnam to Cambodia. So many options are given to you as Vietnam and Cambodia share 6 international border crossings (generally open to all foreign travelers as long as they possess a valid passport or visa). The first and also the longest border crossing between the two countries is Moc Bai – Ba Vet. It is on the main bus route between Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh, thus it is considered as the most popular and convenient border crossing. Of these border crossings, Vinh Xuong/Kaam Sammor is a preferred crossing for independent travelers and boat services are available and fast. For the other crossing borders, including Tinh Bien/ Phnom Den, Xa Xia/ Prek Chak, Le Thanh/ O Yadao crossing, motorbike ride is the better choice.
Normally travellers cross Vietnam-Cambodia borders via one of these popular national highways:
* Highway No.22 from Ho Chi Minh City, crossing Moc Bai International Checkpoint (Node A on the map)
* Provincial highway No.952 from Tan Chau (Vietnam), crossing Vinh Xuong International Checkpoint to Kaam Samnor (Cambodia). (Node B on the map)
* Xa Xia (Vietnam) to Prek Chak (Cambodia) crossing Ha Tien International Checkpoint. This checkpoint is open for mostly international travelers. (Node C on the map)
Like Laos, procedure to cross Cambodian international checkpoint from Vietnam is simple and convenient. Immigration officers at these check points only require Vietnamese travelers to present passports to cross the gate, while international tourists need Cambodian visa which can be obtained at these checkpoints on arrival. E-visa which is obtained online from Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affair is also permitted to use at these checkpoints.
On the way back to Vietnam, you need to have a visa ready to show to Immigration office at the border check point. Vietnam Visa on arrival is not available with border crossing.
Normally buses from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh are more preferred to cross Vietnam – Cambodia border. There is no stop on the trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh.
Some of worth-considering bus providers including Vietnamese firms like Mai Linh, Sapaco or GSG, and also Cambodian providers such as Mekong Express, Capitol Tour and 168 Bus. Buses of Mekong Express also have a tour guide to introduce and assist guests along the trip. Below are some addresses where guests can purchase bus ticket to Cambodia.
* Mekong Express: 275F Pham Ngu Lao Street, Dist.1 – (+84-8) 3 837 3917
* Sapaco Tourist: 500 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ward 4, Dist.3 – (+84-8) 3 832 2038
* Mai Linh Express: 292 Dinh Bo Linh, Ward 26, Binh Thanh District – (+84-8) 3 929 2929
Ticket price varies based on providers and seasons, but often remain affordable within the range from USD13 – USD 25 for seat buses and USD 20-35 for sleeper buses.