In October, Vietnam experiences transitional weather between the wet and dry seasons. Here is an overview of the weather conditions across different regions in Vietnam:
1. Northern Vietnam (Hanoi, Halong Bay):
– Average daytime temperature: 23-28°C (73-82°F)
– Average nighttime temperature: 19-24°C (66-75°F)
– Rainfall: Around 100-150mm
– Humidity: 70-80%
– Generally, October is considered one of the best months to visit Northern Vietnam as the weather is cooler and drier compared to the preceding months.
2. Central Vietnam (Da Nang, Hoi An, Hue):
– Average daytime temperature: 24-30°C (75-86°F)
– Average nighttime temperature: 21-25°C (70-77°F)
– Rainfall: Around 150-300mm
– Humidity: 75-85%
– In October, Central Vietnam experiences occasional showers and typhoons. It is recommended to check weather forecasts and travel advisories during this time.
3. Southern Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta):
– Average daytime temperature: 26-32°C (79-90°F)
– Average nighttime temperature: 23-26°C (73-79°F)
– Rainfall: Around 200-300mm
– Humidity: 75-85%
– October is the wettest month in Southern Vietnam. Expect frequent showers and high humidity. However, the rain doesn’t usually last for long periods, and the weather can be quite sunny in between showers.
These weather conditions are general guidelines, and specific conditions may vary from year to year. It’s always a good idea to check the weather forecast for the most up-to-date information before traveling to Vietnam in October.
What to expect if you travel to Vietnam in October
October 10th is a major celebration in Hanoi. On that same date in 1010, Kinh Ly Cong Uan chose Hanoi as the capital and the city has marked that point to count its birth date, boasting its rich culture and history that have been developed for over a thousand year.
Besides that, October is a rather calm month. Vietnamese do not celebrate Halloween though the young still try to catch up, not by asking around “Treats or cheats” but by shopping for masks and costumes for party. Like September, it is safe to check the weather forecast in advance. Many storms are imminent to flood into the coastal area, which may hold off your trips for days or even weeks.
* October 10: Hanoi’s Liberation Day
* October 20: Vietnam Women’s Day
* October 31: Halloween
Read more: Best time to visit Vietnam