Vietnamese wedding ceremonies are elaborate and meaningful celebrations that reflect the culture and traditions of the country. Here are some key elements of a typical Vietnamese wedding ceremony:
1. Engagement: Before the wedding, the groom’s family visits the bride’s family to propose and negotiate the wedding terms, including the dowry.
2. Wedding invitations: The couple sends elaborate wedding invitations to friends, family, and guests, inviting them to the wedding ceremony and reception.
3. Pre-wedding ceremonies: The bride and groom perform various traditional ceremonies separately at their homes before the wedding day. This includes praying to ancestors, seeking blessings from parents and grandparents, and offering gifts.
4. Tea ceremony: On the wedding day, the couple serves tea to their parents and elderly relatives to show respect and seek their blessings. The bride wears an áo dài, a traditional Vietnamese dress, while the groom wears a formal suit or áo g?m, a traditional Vietnamese men’s wedding attire.
5. Betrothal ceremony: This ceremony takes place at the bride’s house, where the couple prays to the ancestors and receives more blessings from their parents. The groom’s family traditionally brings gifts, including betrothal cakes, jewelry, and food.
6. Procession to the groom’s house: After the betrothal ceremony, the bride is accompanied by a procession of family and friends to the groom’s house. This symbolizes her transition to her new home and family.
7. Wedding reception: A grand reception is held to celebrate the marriage. It includes a lavish banquet with multiple courses and traditional performances, including lion dances, folk songs, and traditional games.
8. Traditional customs: During the reception, the couple participates in customs such as releasing pigeons or floating lanterns to bring good luck and expressing gratitude to their guests.
9. Toasts and congratulations: Guests offer toasts and give gifts to the couple, congratulating them on their marriage and wishing them a happy and prosperous life together.
10. Post-wedding celebrations: After the wedding, the couple may go on a honeymoon or have additional celebrations with close friends and family.
Vietnamese wedding ceremonies are a blend of ancient traditions and modern customs, creating a memorable and beautiful celebration of love and unity.